What Does a Coating of Ceramic do for Cars?
Coatings are Hydrophobic But what does this mean?
- This means that the coating is extremely water repellent. You have probably been stunned by the videos of this online, as it is usually the first demonstration of what Nano ceramic can do.
- Once it is cured, typically 48hrs, the coating causes water to bead on the surface of your car and completely slide off. The extra layer of protection prevents water, dirt, bird droppings and mud from bonding to your vehicle’s paint which makes cleaning your car much easier
An Automotive SiO2 Coating is a Mud and Dirt Repellent.
- If you experience a lot of ice and snow where you live, Nano ceramic can do wonders for you! Snow and ice will not stick to the surface of your car because of the extra layer protection. Rain and water bead on the surface and mud will also slide off.
A Quartz or SiO2 Coating Protects from UV Damage and Oxidation.
- Ultraviolet rays cause paint to oxidize, which means that the chemicals in your paint have started to break down and dry out. Over time, cars that are frequently exposed to the sun will start to see the paint fade and look dull. Not only will the paint not look as vibrant, but it will eventually start to deteriorate. Nano ceramic coating provides extra protection against UV rays, which means that your paint will continue to shine.
Ceramic Coatings Improves Durability.
- A ceramic coating bonds with the molecular structure of your cars paint. This means that it works much harder at protecting your surface than just an ordinary paint job. Plus, it lasts for years!
What does a Ceramic Coating NOT do?
It does not make your car bulletproof.
- Just because your car has undergone the ceramic coating treatment does not mean that you no longer need to maintain it properly. It just makes maintenance is easier! Let us break down some of the misconceptions surrounding ceramic coating.
Ceramic coatings are NOT scratch proof.
- A lot of companies will exaggerate claims that ceramic coatings are scratch & chip proof, but this is not true. A Ceramic Coatings will provide paint protection but are NOT resistant to rock chips and major scratches.
- High quality Ceramic Coatings will help against minor scratches. The main point is that ceramic coatings for cars are thick & flexible enough to absorb minor impacts but not major scratches or chipping.
Nano coatings will make your car maintenance free.
- The reality is that your car will get dirty no matter what. You will still need to wash and maintain your car, but the coating will heavily cut down the amount of time you spend on it. It does eliminate the need for waxing, which will end up saving you money.
Ceramic coating is not permanent.
- Nano ceramic coating forms a semi-permanent bond to the surface of your car so it will not wash off and does not need to be reapplied every few months.
DO I NEED PAINT CORRECTION BEFORE APPLY A COATING? Simple answer – NO
1. Contrary to what the typical detailer will tell you, paint correction is not a MUST.
For a ceramic coating to be effective and last for the years it is rated, the highest quality prep work (Decon) of the vehicles surface is what will make the difference. Before you can begin to apply the Nano coating, the vehicles painted surface MUST be cleansed of all wax, sealants, dirt, embedded contaminants & industrial fallout (the clay barring process could leave light marring).
2. However, if you are happy with the physical appearance and gloss of your vehicles painted surfaces, there is no need for paint correction.
3. Ceramic coatings will not provide gloss. If your paint is faded before you apply the ceramic coating, your paint will still be faded after. The prep work done before application is crucial to the appearance of your vehicle. Any damage on the surface of the vehicle will be locked in under the coating.